It should come as no surprise that the stress we experience at work can have a detrimental effect on both our physical and mental health. But you might not be aware that it can also negatively impact your oral health. That’s right: the same stress that makes it more likely for you to skip brushing your teeth or causes you to forget to floss can also lead to additional problems, such as cavities and gum disease.
Stress at work can negatively impact your oral health in the following five ways:
1. Stress at work can lead to bad oral hygiene habits, such as skipping brushing your teeth or not flossing your teeth as often as you should. When you find yourself working too much and lacking the time to handle key hygiene habits, you may find that you get sick more frequently.
2. The stress of your job may also encourage you to eat more frequently, typically foods that are heavy in sugar or carbohydrates, which can contribute to tooth decay.
3. In addition, working too much can cause oral dryness, which in turn can encourage the growth of bacteria and result in periodontal disease. One simple step you can take to assist counteract this issue is to keep a bottle of water on your desk at all times.
4. Additionally, stress can make it difficult to keep regular dental appointments, which increases the likelihood that problems will go unidentified and untreated.
5. Finally, job stress can drive people to grind their teeth or clench their jaw, both of which can cause tooth enamel to wear down and contribute to other issues such as jaw pain or headaches.
It is important to remember to take care of your oral health even if you are experiencing a lot of stress at work. If it has been a while since you’ve been to the dentist, make an appointment for a checkup and cleaning, and make it a point to brush and floss your teeth on a consistent basis. Taking care of your teeth is an easy way to lower your stress level and maintain your general health.
Dr. Motiwala in International Press
Dr. Motiwala is a dentist of international fame who has provided care for thousands of patients hailing from all parts on the world. He has been featured on various news outlets, click on the logo of the channel that covered the story below. He has been featured on various news outlets.